This is a Beta version. Confidant Mail with GPG 1.4 has been stable. The code has supported GPG 2.1 for the past several versions, but this is the first release bundled (Windows, Mac) with GPG 2.1.21 instead of GPG 1.4. There may be some surprises, because GPG 2.1 is very different in how it handles passphrases. The testers using v0.38 ran into passphrase timeout problems, which have been handled in v0.39.
- Added support for gpg 2.1.22 on 2017-08-05
- Please report any bugs via the forum or CM me at
Mike Ingle <firstname.lastname@example.org> d2b89e6f95e72e26e0c917d02d1847dfecfcd0c2
- You can install this version on Windows over v0.38, but if you want to return to v0.38, please uninstall v0.39 before installing v0.38.
- Arch Linux works with source release and OS bundled gpg 2.1
- Ubuntu 16.04 and Linux Mint work with the .deb package and OS bundled gpg 2.1
- You can create ECC keys, but they are not compatible with GPG 1.4. ECC keys are for testing in closed groups at this time. You cannot contact me using an ECC key. My public servers do now accept ECC keys.
- GPG 2.1 eventually times out the passphrase in memory, at which time auto-fetch will stop working unless you type the passphrase again. Manually performing a check-send will cause the passphrase prompt to reappear and auto-fetch will resume if it was enabled.
- There are no new features, so if you are not interested in trying GPG 2.1, there's no need to upgrade right now. I did not trigger the upgrade notification in earlier versions.
confmail-signer-key.asc - GPG key used to sign all releases
Confidant Mail Downloads (v0.39) with GPG 2.1
confmailinst.exe - Windows 7/8 self-contained installer package - sig
Users with modern versions of Windows (7, 8, and 10) should use the package above.
confmail-winpe.zip - Windows 7/8 portable binaries - sig
confmailinst-xp.exe - Windows XP self-contained installer package - sig
vcredist_x86_windowsxp.exe - Visual C++ redistributable - install this first on XP only
confmail-src.zip - source code only - sig
confidantmail_0.39-2.deb - basic Debian Jessie package - sig
Debian Jessie / Ubuntu 16.04 / Tails 3.1 auto install command - paste this line into a Terminal:
wget https://www.confidantmail.org/download/b39/debian-installer.bash && /bin/bash debian-installer.bash
Users with Debian Jessie, Ubuntu 16.04, or Tails 2/3 should use the installer or package above.
ConfidantMail.dmg.bz2 - Mac OS 10.9 binaries - sig
Users with Mac OS 10.9 and above should use the package above.
confidantmail-0.39-2-any.pkg.tar.xz - Arch Linux pacman package - sig
Arch users should run these commands:
sudo pacman -U confidantmail-0.39-2-any.pkg.tar.xz